First home buyer withdrawal
After being a member of KiwiSaver for three years you can apply to withdraw all or part of KiwiSaver savings (however you must leave a minimum balance of $1,000 plus any amount transferred from an Australian superannuation fund in your KiwiSaver account) and use it towards the purchase price of your first home.
Are you eligible?
You are eligible for a first home withdrawal if you:
- have been a KiwiSaver member for at least three years;
- have not made a withdrawal from your KiwiSaver account for the purchase of a home before;
- intend to live in the property (for at least 6 to 12 months); and
- are buying your first home (or have confirmation from Housing NZ that you are eligible to apply for a second home purchase).
If you have owned a property or land before and your financial position is considered the same as a first home buyer you may be able to apply to Housing New Zealand to be considered for a withdrawal as a 'second chance' home buyer. Visit Housing New Zealand's website for more information.
How do you apply?
- Once you have found a home you want to buy, let your solicitor know you want to use funds from your KiwiSaver account to help with the purchase.
- Contact us about applying for a first home withdrawal.
- Take our withdrawal form to your solicitor to complete then post it back to us with:
- a copy of your certified ID;
- your Sale and Purchase agreement;
- your Solicitor's letter; and
- a deposit slip for your Solicitor's trust account.
All documentation needs to be with us at least 10 working days before your settlement date.
How will the payment be made?
The funds will be transferred to your solicitor's trust account prior to settlement and will be paid to the vendor as part of the purchase price for an unconditional sale, or as the deposit (or part of it) if that is a condition of your sale and purchase agreement. If the agreement is not completed then your solicitor will pass the funds back to Fisher Funds to be reinvested in your KiwiSaver account.
KiwiSaver HomeStart grant
If you have been contributing to your KiwiSaver account (or a complying superannuation fund) for at least three years, you might also be eligible for a Housing NZ KiwiSaver HomeStart grant of up to:
- $5,000 if you're buying an existing home ($1,000 per year of contributions); or
- $10,000 if you're buying or building a new home ($2,000 per year of contributions).
Eligibility criteria apply; including minimum contribution requirements, limits on your income and the value of the house you want to buy or build.
Please contact Housing NZ directly for more information:
- Visit http://www.hnzc.co.nz/kiwisaver
- Email email@example.com
- Or call 0508 WELCOME (0508 935266)